Obesity is a chronic relapsing disease characterised by increased body fat. It affects 1:4 adults and 1:5 children aged 10-11.
That is 25% of ALL adults and 20% of 10-11 year olds!
The cause put simply is an imbalance of energy intake and energy expenditure (FDA) but other factors may increase the likelihood of obesity. These can include:
- Endocrine and hypothalamic disorders
- Inflammatory conditions
- Environmental factors such as lifestyle and levels of physical activity
- Genetics/hereditary Health conditions such as polycystic ovaries
- Psychological factors
The cost to the UK government is £6.1 billion in health care costs and £27 billion within the economy.
Obesity is responsible for 30,000 deaths each year and can reduce life expectancy by 9 years!
But exercise can help…
The benefits of exercise and obesity are
- Cardiovascular fitness improves
- Risk of heart diseases reduces
- Lung function improves
- Overall discomfort improves with reduced fat mass and improved muscle mass.